On Tuesday 15 March 2005 09:07 am, Steve Swantz wrote:
> Would using one twisted pair for a phone line and two others of the
> same cable for ethernet result in network noise when the phone rings,
> or is the wire twist sufficient to reduce interference?

They'll be lots of problems.  Personally I wired up a 10Base-T network over
phone-like cat-3 a _years_ ago, but it only barely worked (only worked on
some cards, with packet loss).  There wasn't a phone line there to interfere,
but I can only imagine if there was.  I ended up using wireless later when I
needed network there again.

--
-dave

Dave Carlson <dave at math.umn.edu>

Systems Administrator
School of Mathematics, University of Minnesota
http://www.math.umn.edu

PGP/GPG Fingerprint:
C3D0 9962 1E98 B742 132D  0E1A CE11 7C4B 5309 97A7
(visit http://www.gnupg.org for more information)