On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 08:01:02PM -0600, Tim Wilson wrote:
> I'm about to try getting those databases installed. It looks like it might
> be more trouble than I thought because they were created on MySQL 4.0.x
> (Debian testing) and now I'm running MySQL 4.1.x on RHEL4. I have a Debian
> testing box at home so I'm thinking it might be best to copy them to that
> box and then do a proper export. I figure that might increase the odds of
> getting a working system out of it in the end. A couple questions:
>
> 1. I have WordPress installed at home and it was installed on the crashed
> server too. Both databases are called "wordpress". Can I rename either of
> them before copying the data into /var/lib/mysql where the database tables
> live?

I think this should work--e.g. create directory 'wordpress2' in your
database directory and put your files in there.  Before doing anything
I'd read the online docs on upgrading at:

  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/upgrade.html

> 2. How does the "mysql" database fit into this? If I copy some database
> tables in /var/lib/mysql do I need to modify the mysql database to make the
> new database available?

You shouldn't need to alter the "mysql" database for this unless you're
planning on using a user whose permissions disallow access to the new
database.

--
trammell at el-swifto.com  9EC7 BC6D E688 A184 9F58  FD4C 2C12 CC14 8ABA 36F5