On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Tim Wilson wrote:
> I'm still unable to restart mysqld on my server that crashed. I'm afraid
> that I won't be able to dump the current contents of the database so I
> can reload it. I do have the contents of /var/lib/mysql which appears to
> be the raw mysql tables. Is it possible to copy these files, reinstall
> the system, put those files back, and get a working MySQL system?

Yeah, shouldn't be a problem.

Make *very* sure that you have backups of /var/lib/mysql before trying,
though, also make sure you know what version the system was on.

If your tables are in ISAM format, the 'myisamchk' program is very useful.
It allows you to do an offline check of your databases.

What's preventing MySQL from starting?