On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:54:06PM -0600, Ken Fuchs wrote:
> Dan Rue wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:30:28AM -0600, Chris Smith wrote:
> >> the Guh-Nome part i was pretty sure about, though that is helpful.
> >>
> >> I remember reading about it in some Linux mag. Stallman basically said
> >> anything starting with gnu should be GUH-NU-whatever.
> >> hard to do though, espcially around casual linux users... they look at
> >>  you funny, and you feel compelled to explain, and then you end up
> >> looking like a bit of jerk.. (at least i seem to...)
> >>
> >> Oh, and Suse,,, that one is like Dr. Suess, not Suzy.... since we are
> >> expanding the list.
>
> >I personally think that in the spirit of open source and
> >there's-more-than-one-way-to-do-it, pronunciation should be an open
> >sport.  Nobody cares what Stallman says, anyway (ain't no way i'm saying
> >Guh-Nome).
>
> "Nobody cares what Stallman says" is equivalent to
> "Everyone doesn't care what Stallman says".
>
> Sorry, Dan, you don't speak for everyone.  Some people do care what
> Stallman says.  Stallman and GNU software are the main supporters of
> free software and in large part the reason open source exists the way
> it does today.  Without Stallman's decades of work and the GNU project
> there wouldn't be any free software or open source software (at least to
> the extent and with the freedom that such software exists today).
>
> Dan, your phonetic spelling of GNOME looks good to me.  Is it really
> that hard to pronounce or too funny sounding.  How do you pronounce GNU?
> GUH-NU?  Or do you pronounce it with the G silent?  GNU is pronounced NU
> (new) and GNOME is pronounced NOME (as in the northernmost town in
> Alaska)?

Ok, I was trying to be light hearted about it.  I originally debated
whether to qualify my stallman criticism, and just decided against it.

Yes Stallman has done a remarkable job for free/oss.  Yes we all owe him
much.  But, that doesn't exempt him from criticism.

For what it's worth, I say lin-ucks, G-N-U (i never say guh-nu), nome,
v-i - but my favorite thing to say is FreeBSD.   And I would never
correct someone's pronunciation unless they asked, because I do believe
that would be rude and elitist.

Dan