Ahhh, replying to my own post.

Original text from 1996 follows:

   :                   Linux and the GNU system
   :
   : The GNU project started 12 years ago with the goal of developing a
   : complete free Unix-like operating system.  "Free" refers to freedom,
   : not price; it means you are free to run, copy, distribute, study,
   : change, and improve the software.
   :
   : A Unix-like system consists of many different programs.  We found some
   : components already available as free software--for example, X Windows
   : and TeX.  We obtained other components by helping to convince their
   : developers to make them free--for example, the Berkeley network
   : utilities.  Other components we wrote specifically for GNU--for
   : example, GNU Emacs, the GNU C compiler, the GNU C library, Bash, and
   : Ghostscript.  The components in this last category are "GNU software".
   : The GNU system consists of all three categories together.
   :
   : The GNU project is not just about developing and distributing free
   : software.  The heart of the GNU project is an idea: that software
   : should be free, and that the users' freedom is worth defending.  For
   : if people have freedom but do not value it, they will not keep it for
   : long.  In order to make freedom last, we have to teach people to value
   : it.
   :
   : The GNU project's method is that free software and the idea of users'
   : freedom support each other.  We develop GNU software, and as people
   : encounter GNU programs or the GNU system and start to use them, they
   : also think about the GNU idea.  The software shows that the idea can
   : work in practice.  People who come to agree with the idea are likely
   : to write additional free software.  Thus, the software embodies the
   : idea, spreads the idea, and grows from the idea.
   :
   : This method was working well--until someone combined the Linux kernel
   : with the GNU system (which still lacked a kernel), and called the
   : combination a "Linux system."
   :
   : The Linux kernel is a free Unix-compatible kernel written by Linus
   : Torvalds.  It was not written specifically for the GNU project, but
   : the Linux kernel and the GNU system work together well.  In fact,
   : adding Linux to the GNU system brought the system to completion: it
   : made a free Unix-compatible operating system available for use.
   :
   : But ironically, the practice of calling it a "Linux system" undermines
   : our method of communicating the GNU idea.  At first impression, a
   : "Linux system" sounds like something completely distinct from the "GNU
   : system."  And that is what most users think it is.
   :
   : Most introductions to the "Linux system" acknowledge the role played
   : by the GNU software components.  But they don't say that the system as
   : a whole is more or less the same GNU system that the GNU project has
   : been compiling for a decade.  They don't say that the idea of a free
   : Unix-like system originates from the GNU project.  So most users don't
   : know these things.
   :
   : This leads many of those users to identify themselves as a separate
   : community of "Linux users", distinct from the GNU user community.
   : They use all of the GNU software; in fact, they use almost all of the
   : GNU system; but they don't think of themselves as GNU users, and they
   : may not think about the GNU idea.
   :
   : It leads to other problems as well--even hampering cooperation on
   : software maintenance.  Normally when users change a GNU program to
   : make it work better on a particular system, they send the change to
   : the maintainer of that program; then they work with the maintainer,
   : explaining the change, arguing for it and sometimes rewriting it, to
   : get it installed.
   :
   : But people who think of themselves as "Linux users" are more likely to
   : release a forked "Linux-only" version of the GNU program, and consider
   : the job done.  We want each and every GNU program to work "out of the
   : box" on Linux-based systems; but if the users do not help, that goal
   : becomes much harder to achieve.
   :
   : So how should the GNU project respond?  What should we do now to
   : spread the idea that freedom for computer users is important?
   :
   : We should continue to talk about the freedom to share and change
   : software--and to teach other users to value these freedoms.  If we
   : enjoy having a free operating system, it makes sense for us to think
   : about preserving those freedoms for the long term.  If we enjoy having
   : a variety of free software, it makes sense for to think about
   : encouraging others to write additional free software, instead of
   : additional proprietary software.
   :
   : We should not accept the splitting of the community in two.  Instead
   : we should spread the word that "Linux systems" are variant GNU
   : systems--that users of these systems are GNU users, and that they
   : ought to consider the GNU philosophy which brought these systems into
   : existence.
   :
   : This article is one way of doing that.  Another way is to use the
   : terms "Linux-based GNU system" (or "GNU/Linux system" or "Lignux" for
   : short) to refer to the combination of the Linux kernel and the GNU
   : system.
   :
   : Copyright 1996 Richard Stallman
   : Verbatim copying and redistribution is permitted
   : without royalty as long as this notice is preserved.

*looks to see if mn-lignux.org is still available*