On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> I'll agree that GNU/Linux is "correct" (because Linux is built using GNU
> tools) the day that car lots start selling Craftsman/Fords (because
> Fords are built using Craftsman[1] tools).
>
> Alternately, I'll agree that GNU/Linux is "correct" (because Linux is
> useless without software which is largely provided by GNU) the day that
> car lots start selling OPEC/Fords (because Fords are useless without oil
> which is largely provided by OPEC).
>
> Or, if you don't like computer/car analogies, I suppose we could try
> telling Dell that they have to call their products Intel/Dell.

I think it's more like buying a Chevy with a Ford engine and insisting
that the car be called a Ford because the engine is a Ford engine.  The
car could easily be called a Chevy because everything but the engine was
made by Chevy.  Some people think it should be called a Chevy/Ford or a
Ford/Chevy.  This seems reasonable, but it makes the pro-Ford group very
angry for reasons that are impossible to fathom.

Then there are some people who drive Ford cars with Ford engines.  They
think it is completely crazy that they should call their cars Chevy/Fords
because there are no Chevy parts in their cars.  They are right, but no
one is telling them they are wrong, so why are they even talking?

Mike