On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 01:08:47AM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> I notice that none of the GNU antagonists had a response to Torvald's own
> words on the topic when I posted them earlier today:
>
>    Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you
>    need a shell, compilers, a library etc. ... Most of the tools used with
>    linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft.

I'll agree that GNU/Linux is "correct" (because Linux is built using
GNU tools) the day that car lots start selling Craftsman/Fords
(because Fords are built using Craftsman[1] tools).

Alternately, I'll agree that GNU/Linux is "correct" (because Linux is
useless without software which is largely provided by GNU) the day
that car lots start selling OPEC/Fords (because Fords are useless
without oil which is largely provided by OPEC).

Or, if you don't like computer/car analogies, I suppose we could try
telling Dell that they have to call their products Intel/Dell.  And
O'Reilly should change its name to Hammermill/O'Reilly.  I can't
figure out, though, whether it would be more appropriate for World of
Warcraft (and every other piece of Win32 software out there) to
become Microsoft/World of Warcraft or Windows/World of Warcraft...

[1]  Having never worked at a Ford plant, I probably have the wrong
brand of tools here.  Feel free to replace "Craftsman" with the
correct brand if you happen to know what it is.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that