On Wednesday 09 March 2005 02:23 pm, Troy.A Johnson wrote:
> >On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Troy.A Johnson wrote:
> >> To me, Linux is a cool kernel and lots of great GNU (and other)
> >> software. But people (myself included) like to refer to things by short
> >> names. I (and at least a few others) don't feel the need to proclaim
> >> GNUs greatness every time I mention Linux. I still know GNU is great
> >> software. The fact that others do not is a GNU public relations
> problem,
> >> not a problem Linux or Linus Torvalds has to solve.
> >It is a public relations problem that would be lessened if you would call
>
> >Linux "GNU/Linux" instead of simply "Linux."
>
> Or if I called my Solaris install GNU Solaris because
> I use so much GNU software there. Or if I called my
> Windows install GNU Windows for the same reason.

Different scope:
Solaris does not require any GNU software to run or build
Windows does not require any GNU software to run or build (AFAIK)
Linux *does* require GNU software to run or build (the GNU compiler
collection, and, as a good userland example, libc)

> But I'm not going to do that. If PR is so important to
> him he should chuck the GPL and use a modified
> BSD license instead.</joke>
>
> >I'm not going to argue about this because it isn't important to me, but I
>
> >just want to say that I think it isn't foolish to tack a 'GNU' on the
> >front of Linux.
>
> Good, but I think it is foolish to expect me to do that.
> We disagree, and that is OK.

I don't think anyone's expecting you to tack on the 'GNU/', just not get
flustered when someone does tack it on.

I've mostly been tacking it on whenever I'm talking to a non-technical person
(which usually begs the explaination) - if I tacked it on constantly,
non-Linux geeks would probably install GNU/Hurd on my desktop machine April
1st as a retaliation.

--
-dave

Dave Carlson <dave at math.umn.edu>

Systems Administrator
School of Mathematics, University of Minnesota
http://www.math.umn.edu

PGP/GPG Fingerprint:
C3D0 9962 1E98 B742 132D  0E1A CE11 7C4B 5309 97A7
(visit http://www.gnupg.org for more information)