>>> Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> 03/09/05 1:59 PM >>>
>On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Troy.A Johnson wrote:
>> To me, Linux is a cool kernel and lots of great GNU (and other)
>> software. But people (myself included) like to refer to things by short

>> names. I (and at least a few others) don't feel the need to proclaim
>> GNUs greatness every time I mention Linux. I still know GNU is great
>> software. The fact that others do not is a GNU public relations
problem,
>> not a problem Linux or Linus Torvalds has to solve.
>It is a public relations problem that would be lessened if you would call

>Linux "GNU/Linux" instead of simply "Linux."

Or if I called my Solaris install GNU Solaris because
I use so much GNU software there. Or if I called my
Windows install GNU Windows for the same reason.
But I'm not going to do that. If PR is so important to
him he should chuck the GPL and use a modified
BSD license instead.</joke>

>I'm not going to argue about this because it isn't important to me, but I

>just want to say that I think it isn't foolish to tack a 'GNU' on the
>front of Linux.

Good, but I think it is foolish to expect me to do that.
We disagree, and that is OK.

:-)

Troy