Hehe -- you said you weren't going to argue.

It _really_ isn't important to me. :-)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Troy.A Johnson wrote:

> Or if I called my Solaris install GNU Solaris because
> I use so much GNU software there. Or if I called my
> Windows install GNU Windows for the same reason.
> But I'm not going to do that.

Unless Microsoft has some dark secrets, Windows wasn't built with gcc to
run GNU software.  But Linux was.  Solaris was also not built with gcc to

run GNU software, but it would have been a better OS if it had been (they

do package GNU utils with Solaris now).

>> I'm not going to argue about this because it isn't important to me, but

>> I just want to say that I think it isn't foolish to tack a 'GNU' on the

>> front of Linux.
>
> Good, but I think it is foolish to expect me to do that.

I don't expect anything.

I'm arguing with people like you who think it is foolish to refer to
GNU/Linux.  Your examples above with Windows and Solaris show that you
aren't understanding the close relationship of Linux with GNU.  Linux was

born of GNU.  It exists because of GNU and it wouldn't have existed
without GNU.  Windows and Solaris are nothing like that.

Mike