On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, John T. Hoffoss wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:20:46 -0600, Chris Smith
> <christophermsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>> samba = you say it like you do the dance right? Not SAM-ba Like SOM-ba..
>> cron = like the old cron? or like chronological?
>
> I pronounce:
>
> samba, like the dance
>
> cron like chronological

So far, so good.

> gnome, like the mythical figure, not genome, like genetics
>
> gnu, like the animal, not guh-new

Not quite (right about genome though).  Here's a trick for finding out
what people are saying about pronunciation:

http://www.google.com/search?q=gnu+pronounced

And you can see that everyone says that we should pronounce the hard 'g'
in GNU:  guh-noo (with a very short 'uh').  Authoritative source:

http://www.gnu.org/

The same pronunciation rule should apply to 'gnome':

http://www.google.com/search?q=gnome+pronounced

Apparently, Stallman advocated for pronouncing the hard 'g' and it has
stuck.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.