sendmail?

I had a problem with sendmail when I added ssl and auth support.  I
added a certificate for the server, but I didn't define one for the
client.  Whenever the outbound connection hit another server capable of
ssl, it attempted to authenticate and establish an encrypted client
connection.  Without a client certificate it always failed.  The
"Deferred: Connection reset..." was the only clue in the log files.

I tried to figure out how to get it to fall back to an unencrypted
connection; but apparently sendmail doesn't like to do that.  I resolved
it by defining the server certificate as the client certificate too.
Make sure you have a valid entry for:

define(`confCLIENT_CERT',     `/etc/mail/tls/sendmail.pem')dnl  # path
to server certificate
define(`confCLIENT_KEY',      `/etc/mail/tls/sendmail.pem')dnl  # make
sure it's unencrypted

in your sendmail.mc and regenerate your sendmail.conf.

Dave Alitz