On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Raymond Norton wrote:

> I can get to the microsoft news server just fine???

news.microsoft.com probably only carries MS groups, since it's a public
server.  3com (used to?) do the same thing...news.3com.com is publicly
accessible, but only carries 3com.* groups for customer support.

> Anyway, what I need to accomplish is to force all outgoing smtp traffic to
> hit my outbound relay server if it is not destined for either of my two
> class C's. I have an inbound gateway server that scans mail for many

You mean unless the mail is destined for particular domains?

> school districts and then forwards it on to them, but the same box acts as
> my local smtp and imap server, hence the little complication. I wanted to
> try and accomplish this via IPtables, but did not get any responses to my
> post.

If I'm reading this right, on the inbound box you have some school
district domains that you are scanning mail for, and need to forward their
mail on to them directly.  Anything else, you want to be sent to the
outbound gateway?

In that case (if I understand your problem correctly), set the inbound
server to use the outbound one as a smarthost (look for "DS" at the
beginning of a line in sendmail.cf, and make the line look like:)

Find:

DS

Change to:

DSoutbound.server.name

And then config the school domains in mailertable with the correct routing
info:

edit /etc/mail/mailertable:
school1.com	smtp:smtp.server.for.school1.com
school2.com	smtp:smtp.server.for.school2.com

Make sure your sendmail config has mailertable support:

$ grep mailertable /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
Kmailertable hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable

And rebuild the mailertable hash:
$ makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable < /etc/mail/mailertable

This should force all your outgoing mail from the internal box to be
relayed through the outbound gateway, except for the domains that you put
in mailertable will be relayed to the mailservers you specify for each
domain.