Apparently some shops that specialize in used gear are buying "lots" of stuff from MPC.  I bought a 64 meg laptop memory at MPC for
$10.  A friend needed the same, but had an odd laptop which we didn't know how to open so we were referred to one of these shops.
My friend later went there and was quoted $39.95 for the same memory, plus $100 to install it.  He went to Micro-Center and they
could not find how to install the memory after fully opening the case, etc.  I later got the shop manual for free from the Compaq
website and it's easy when one knows the trick for that model.  The spec said that model could be upgraded, but Micro-Center tried
to say it cannot be after they tried.  They should have said they just didn't know how to upgrade that one, but claimed it to be
impossible to upgrade.  They obviously did not look at service instructions for that model at all.

I've been unable to locate 1-10 gb laptop drives under $29.95 and they disappear fast... bandito prices are common for used drives,
and often are higher than new prices during sales!

Conclusions:
1) look out for banditos
2) look out for authoritative service idiots who contradict manufacturers' info and don't have or check it first.
3) find a private sale for smaller old laptop drives, or watch for special sales at Micro Center (et al)

Chuck