Hi,
I'm new to Linux and I'm looking for some general advice.
What I'd like to do is to set up a Linux file server using Samba (and a Subversion server using Apache but that may not be relevant to my question).
I need Windows client machines to connect to the file server accross the Internet. I would like the client machines to be able to access and operate on the served files as if they where on their local drive - and here is where this newbie is getting fuzzy on the protocols and what can be easily done. What is the best way to do this with reasonable security? Do I use SSH or VPN ? Is it at all a good idea to use Linux or should I go with a Windows Server instead?

I'd appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks in advance!

-Tore