John Meier writes:

> And I quote:
> "....A "bad" website hasn't been accessed for a long time; I think
> that curiosity is beyond her now. The biggest concern right now is
> aim'ing.  She's hooked and spends way too much time chatting with
> anyone and working on her damn buddy profile.  I discovered she had a
> picture of herself on there...

ok, tell that it is best not have a picture of herself on there and explain
why this is a bad idea.

> She's not that smart about trying to get around the parental's
> controls, and is very forthcoming when we ask what she's up to.  She
> gets bored and has recently started chatting with strangers which is
> alarming.  ...."

huh. Just as alarming as talking to strangers on mailing list?

i don't know you, i never met you... maybe i should just shutup now. because
i don't know, you may be out to get me or something, or heaven forfend; get
to know me.

maybe it is because i am not a parent, and maybe it is because i am an
idealist, but i do not buy into the fear everybody and everything mentality,
i do not believe that every stranger out there is out to get me or my
family. i live in minneapolis proper and i do not lock my doors, even when i
am not at home or sleeping.

and yes, i have woken up to see a complete stranger sleeping on my couch.
and no it was not some wierdo who fell asleep while trying to steal my
laptop or TV; but some college student who lost her way after a party.

> "....So basically I'm looking for chat monitoring software that will only
> allow conversation with buddies we know and will schedule when chat
> will work and when it won't...."

i do believe jabber will let you restrict to certain buddies and cron can
turn jabber on and off. but i have never used so i cannot comment on it

> I agree that empowering anyone with knowledge is the best defense you
> can give - I have suggested as much - but at the same time some safe
> guards may be appropriate. Kinda like you wouldn't drop off your child
> 6 blocks from school in a dark alley at night and let them walk the
> rest of the way - just to attend a lock-in or something.... probably
> not a good example, but hope you catch the drift....  you do what you
> can to an extend to make sure they are relatively safe - let them
> learn the lessons when the consequences are not life threatening or
> life endangering.

and i do not believe that browsing the web and chating over the internet can
kill you. nor is it the same thing as letting a child walk home from school
in the middle of the night, but properly empowered and aged children can do
that as well.

I know this is getting very OT here, but the questing of children in brought
up on a fairly regular basis, so i do not think this thread should be killed
just yet.

--
Munir Nassar