Chad Walstrom wrote:

>Historically, Linux has had crappy NTFS support.  Since you mentioned
>using tar to transfer, I'm assuming this a read operation.  That should
>be O.K., but you never know.  I'd stay away from write operations on the
>NTFS system if possible.

Yes, the point of the file copy is to get away from NTFS. The NTFS disks
are mounted read-only. Once the data are moved on to a reiserfs disk,
the source disk will be initialized and then added to the logical volume
group I'm building.

>Update your kernel. ;-)

I've been waiting for 2.6.10 to become available through the YaST
upgrade process. I haven't dived into the brave world of building my own
kernel, but maybe I should.

>Ick.  Promise controllers suck royally, IMHO.  Their standard IDE
>controllers may be O.K., but my experience in working with their
>software RAID cards has given me the general impression that you want to
>stay away from Promise if you can.

I hear you, but it's what I had available. Any reommendations on what
should replace it? I really do need the IDE channels.

>For performance reasons, I would consider moving one of your disks from
>the Primary to the Secondary channel.

Yeah, I plan to do that.

>I know I didn't REALLY give you any great suggestions, but maybe the
>NTFS info will be helpful.  I don't know the current state of the
>project, but I would seriously make certain you

"...seriously make certain" I what?

The project is still early. I am being careful to not lose data. Each
disk is 200gb, and I have an empty 200gb disk to copy onto. The source
disk is mounted read-only.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Jeff