Jeff Nelson wrote:
> In particular, the system will hang when I use tar to transfer a bunch
> of files from an NTFS-formatted disk to a reiserfs-formatted disk
> (using tar).

Historically, Linux has had crappy NTFS support.  Since you mentioned
using tar to transfer, I'm assuming this a read operation.  That should
be O.K., but you never know.  I'd stay away from write operations on the
NTFS system if possible.

> I goggled and found there is a known problem with the ASUS A7N8X-E
> motherboard: the workaround is to add the boot option
> "acpi_skip_timer_override". Apparently this is fixed in kernel 2.6.10,
> but I haven't seen that available yet. I'm still running 2.6.8-24.10.

Update your kernel. ;-)

> I've added just one PCI card, a Promise Technology disk controller,
> with two disks (one on each controller).

Ick.  Promise controllers suck royally, IMHO.  Their standard IDE
controllers may be O.K., but my experience in working with their
software RAID cards has given me the general impression that you want to
stay away from Promise if you can.

> The motherboard primary IDE controller has 2 disks as well; the
> secondary controller has just a DVD-RW.

For performance reasons, I would consider moving one of your disks from
the Primary to the Secondary channel.

I know I didn't REALLY give you any great suggestions, but maybe the
NTFS info will be helpful.  I don't know the current state of the
project, but I would seriously make certain you

Google is your friend.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/