John Meier wrote:
> "...I want to limit im time, see all im messages to and from, see all
> emails, and see all websites visited

Damn.  I hope I never get that bad.

> She's caught on to most of our checking up tricks, and puts the
> computer back online with ipconfig /renew...."

Yay!  You go girl!

> He was checking into key stroke loggers - software to run on the
> computer where he could later check all text in IM and Web
> browsing....

Bad idea.  Too much information, essentially.

> I suggested putting the computer in a high traffic area - so that
> everyone knows when anyone is online

The best suggestion.

> - also suggested removing the power cord during offline times.

Not a good idea.  Too hands-on.

> I also mentioned setting up something like ipcop where he could run a
> proxy like squid and block stuff etc....

ipcop might be nice.  I would definitely suggest a box running squid
with user authentication and time-based acl's.  Additionally, I would
run a jabber server for instant messaging.  Block all IM except that
originating from the jabber server.  From there, you could log chat
information a lot easier, though you may have to hack the server.  I
believe it's written with privacy in mind.  Bonus, you can IM your
family members wherever they are. ;-)

I think you can do time-based firewalling/routing, if only through cron,
but you can enforce mac address filtering using iptables.  She may get
smart enough to spoof her mac address, though.

What about a capture portal based setup?  She connects with her machine
and must register/log in via a website.  That application can regulate
routing rules based on user account and do time limiting, etc.

Your friend is going to have to become a routing guru and programmer to
get what he wants, I'm afraid. ;-)  Unless there are some nice utilities
out there.

Anyway, gotta go.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/