> > Don't push messages in the first place?
>
> Heh...  My point was that bounces can't be reliably handled in
> software due to problems with email itself, not due to anything
> specific to mailing lists.  You're not suggesting that we do away
> with email entirely, are you?

I'm suggesting they not be handled in software. You know, the thing that
has trouble with them.

SMTP is designed for one-to-one communication. It works well for that.
But its unsuitability for many-to-many should be clear by now.

> I think you're greatly exaggerating the rumors of push
> technology's death.

RSS is pull. Guess what, IMAP and POP are pull. Unless you're hosting
SMTP on your laptop, you're using pull!

I'm saying rather than having all the ugly hackishness of a list server
trying to push duplicate messages all over a thousand SMTP servers,
bouncing all the while, cut out the middle man. Have the client pull
directly from the server. As far as the client is concerned, its pulling
either way.