On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 09:02:29PM -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > A long digression, I'll admit, but that's an SMTP/MTA issue that even
> > people who know what they're doing aren't able to cleanly fix.  How is
> > a piece of software supposed to deal with it?
>
> Don't push messages in the first place?

Heh...  My point was that bounces can't be reliably handled in
software due to problems with email itself, not due to anything
specific to mailing lists.  You're not suggesting that we do away
with email entirely, are you?

> Red herring. Any decent mail/NNTP client does 'offline' mode these
> days, whereby they will mirror a mailbox/newsgroup on local storage.

Hmm...  So does that mean that mutt's not a decent mail client?
(Yes, that's a joke.  I'm well aware that you can use fetchmail or
the like to get that sort of functionality when using mutt or other
non-POP/IMAP MUAs.)

> Its pretty well established at this point that
> "pushing" is not a good way to go about mass distribution on the modern
> internet. Pull is how the web works. And look at how successful
> PointCast, Marimba and Netcaster were...

Depends on what's being transmitted.  How are most stock/news/
whatever tickers implemented?  (They could be based on client polling
rather than a server push, but, if you're concerned about excess
usage of network resources, polling - especially frequent polling -
is far worse than either push or pull.)

Some information is better-suited to a push implementation, other
information is better suited to being pulled on demand.  When I read
my email (including lists), I want it to come up immediately.  I have
yet to see a pull-based technology that can do that without polling
and I tend to doubt that it's even possible.  (Viewing a very large
message in mutt is practically instantaneous.  Viewing even a
one-line post on Slashdot takes several seconds, at best.)
Additionally, I find it much more convenient to have information from
several sources aggregated in one place (mutt) instead of having
to go out to each source separately (slashdot, perlmonks, and a dozen
other web sites).  Therefore, by my criteria, email (including mailing
lists) works better as a push-based medium rather than pull-based.
YMMV, but I think you're greatly exaggerating the rumors of push
technology's death.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that