On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 07:28 -0600, Adam Maloney wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Callum Lerwick wrote:
>
> > Citadel/UX! http://uncensored.citadel.org/citadel/
>
> So...
>
> TCLUG> .e<nter> r<oom> tclug-general
> TCLUG> r<ead>
>
> Is better?  (My Cit might be a bit rusty, it's been more than a few years)
>
> Make sure you turn on paranoid login mode for this group...

Ah but citadel has evolved over the past 15 years. Its now the Grand
Unified Groupware Server. It can serve IMAP and POP3, handle incoming
and outgoing SMTP, as well as gating rooms to mailing lists. Why not
have every flavor of cake and eat it too?

But the real power lies in its native protocol. Email, shared folders,
calendaring, directory service, file storage, load balancing and
replication, group chat and instant messaging all in one integrated
server, one protocol, and one TCP port. Instead of a mess of
IMAP/SMTP/HTTP/LDAP/WebDAV/FTP/IRC/Jabber.

The backend is solid, but sadly, clients for the native protocol are
lacking at the moment. Supposedly the WebCit client is going through an
overhaul to work better for email/webmail/web board style usage instead
of the BBS style UI.

And the text client is archaic by today's standards, but it works.