On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:09:42 -0600
Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:

> The Plone development team is/was a total failure. Plone 1.0 was a
> glimpse of what could be possible, but in reality it was completely
> useless to anyone but Zope gurus who are able to hack the hell out
> of it to make even minimally useful. Mind you, the selling point of
> Plone is its supposed to be useable by completely non-technical
> users...

Heh - my first gig as an independant contractor was at a place in
Champlain that used Zope/Plone to host about 2 dozen CMS sites.  I was
to create a new Plone Product for a digital library with a MySQL
backend.  It was interesting, but not a very nice learning curve (plus
I don't pride myself in Python programming skills).  Thankfully I had
one of the Plone gurus who worked in the office at the time hold my
hand through the entire process.
<snip rants> :)

> And Debian is a complete failure as usual for taking nearly a YEAR
> to get 2.0 into UNSTABLE, yet they have Zope packages that are
> terrible and don't even work out of the box in testing...

For these kinds of tools I always do a source build instead - which I
must say in Zope 2.7 has been improved quite a bit since 2.4/2.5 - I
was able to install Zope 2.7 / Plone 2.0.5 in a fairly short amount of
time recently without incident.  Plone install is simply untarring and
copying to the Products directory.  I'm pretty much a Slackware
convert now though so I don't mind this type of administration.  :)

<snip more rants> :)

> The extensions out there are still kind of terrible. Is there a
> Forum that doesn't suck? CMFBoard is the only actively developed one
> I've been able to find, and its still a bit buggy and lacks such
> essential features as being able to move topics to different
> forums...

I think Zope has this problem in general, products are not well
maintained or do not cooperate with other products very well.  I tried
to install the Plone Collector product recently, but that required
upgrading the Archetypes package, which when I tried to upgrade that
caused havoc everywhere else.  No notes in any Changelog about
required package dependancies.  DLL-hell in Zope!  Documentation on
many products is an absolute joke.  Some Zope developers do a decent
job, but many do not.  Documentation in general on the Zope site is
putrid (except for the books).  Too many stale user contributed
"HOWTOs" show up in the search engine, many of which are too outdated
to be reliable.

I always think someday I'll give Zope/Plone a longer look, but I just
can't bring myself to trust its stability/maturity to make this leap.

Now I'm ranting!

Josh