a Red Hat system (please correct
or clarify if necessary):

In "/etc/inittab" file a default runlevel
is set (3 or 5, not-GUI and GUI
respectively). With this information
you can divine which directory the
contains the startup script links used
on boot.

The startup scripts themselves (one
for each service: httpd, cron,...) are in
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/". They do the detail
work of starting up and shutting down
a service, depending on the argument
given ("start" or "stop", and possibly
others).

The links are in the directories:
"/etc/rc.d/rc1.d/", "/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/",
etc., one for each runlevel (0-6). Let's
pretend we are running at runlevel 5,
and so are interested in the
"/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/" directory and the
symbolic links therein. The link names
start with either "K" (kill) or "S" (start),
and then a two digit number (00-99).
After that, they usually have the name
of the file they link to, so the file
"/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S35cron" would link
to "/etc/rc.d/init.d/cron".

When your computer starts, and the
runlevel is established, the computer
goes through this directory and kills
everything that starts with a "K" (this
facilitates changing runlevels while
operating) then starts everything that
starts with an "S", in ascending order
of the two digits that follow either letter.
"0" runlevel is used for shutdown, and
runlevel "6" is used for restart, so most
of their links should start with a "K".

I probably have muddied the things that
were clear and totally obscured those
that were hazy. Sorry,

Troy

>>> tcole at visi.com 01/23/02 10:19PM >>>
I have just set up postfix to be my mail server and it works fine on the
local box, but trying to set up a pop3 server for the rest of the domain
to access this server has not been so easy.

I am running Mandrake 8.1 with ipop3sd installed and the service is
enabled on demand.  According to the Doc's from Mandrake all I should
have to do is edit the inetd.conf file and restart inetd.

Unfortunately inetd in not running or configured but appears to be
installed. As I am still learn Linux, I am not familiar with inetd.  Any
help would be great!

Tim