You want to have a netbooted PC, more or less a PC-xterm, getting all the apps
from a afs server? No problem, we can customize the kickstart for that.

With the new Anaconda stuff you can really customize the install process.

> What Linux distro is structured to be
> networked-apps/many-simple-workstations?  I know you can add this on by
> yourself later, but then....

Redhat works for Real Time.

> Why not roll your own?  I know this may be a lot of work, but it would be
> nice to have a "standard" which is specific to your clients.  (Actually,
> with distros like RH, you can do an installation, chose your packages, and
> in the end, build an auto-install floppy which can be used to configure new
> machines the same way).  Having a standard distro broken into two parts:
> network file/apps server and client desktop workstation, would help
> maintainability.  If you use a distro which is 1 piece only, 1 size fits
> all, then maintaining a large number(>100) machines could consist of lots
> of remote scripting, or full re-installs.

Rolling your own is pretty simple. Customizing it is every easier. I believe
there is a web site for making customized kickstarts.

Bottom line, linux is very flexible and can fit into any network setup.

--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500