were recently an unanounced spectacle. Skywatching is a blast.

There are optical filters and sensors for most every possibility. Motion
sensors might be better. Measuring dI/dt (change in intensity with time)
might be a better measurement for separating moving meteors from fixed
background than direct observation. That's what physicists do, if you can't
measure something directly, measure it indirectly with lots of fancy math.

This light pollution web page is neat;
 http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg When
we blotted out the night sky we lost our context.