a UNIX box serving in this fashion is on Solaris as Sun somehow managed to
license and port the NT Domain controller ports to Solaris. The package is
still available from Sun's website, but it is unsupported and unmaintained.
I've heard it's pretty slick though.

> cistron-radius will authenticate against PAM; so if you can get PAM to work
> against Samba (no clue about this myself), it should work.

That's no biggie. See pam-smb-auth and/or pam-ntdom. The former is stable,
last time I checked the latter was rather developmental. With pam-smb-auth
you will need to create users on your linux box. You might be able to get
around this with pam-ntdom.

Someone might have hacked together an Active Directory PAM module now (or
maybe updated kerberos/ldap clients/modules to handle AD...)

Configuring the above modules isn't a big issue either. Just create a config
file with the name of the domain controller.

The last option I can think of (and a sad one at that...) is that Windows
2000 supports RADIUS. Sometimes the only way to deal with NT is NT. (Well, I
guess there's always a rocket launcher, so there are always two ways to deal
with NT.)

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132

begin:vcard
n:Zbikowski;Andy
tel;cell:612-306-6055
tel;home:952-591-0977
tel;work:763-428-9119
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.ltiflex.com
org:LTI Flexible Products;Information Services
adr:;;21801 Industrial Blvd;Rogers;MN;55374;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:andyzb at ltiflex.com
title:Computer Systems Administrator
x-mozilla-cpt:;0