20 seconds.  I can see the terminal adapter trying to make the
connection a couple of times with the lights, but it never stays
connected.

The machine this is on is going to be by firewall/gateway/webserver.
It's a P166 with 32MB's of RAM.  I'm running Slack 7.1 (no X) kernel
2.2.16 on it.  I'm using a 3Com ISDN TA (terminal adapter) on it.  I
have a static IP both internal and external for this machine, but have
not assigned them to this machine.  I've been fighting this prior to my
getting the static IP's with no success.  I haven't tried assigning it
the static IP's since I've received them though either.

I've looked at a couple of websites on this, and they were saying that I
need to compile in synchronous support for the card, but this is an
external device.  Does this still hold true for me to get 128 or higher
connections?  About 99.9% of the information that I've run into is
almost entirely specific to internal ISDN devices, and as far as I can
figure out doesn't apply to my situation.  From what I've been able to
figure out (with Bob's help), is that in my scenario I use it just like
I would an external modem.

I've posted a couple of times previously, but didn't get much feedback.
I didn't have as much info the previous times though either.  Anyone
have some ideas where to go from this point?  One thing I did try that I
forgot to post was I tried this as a standalone machine with no network
settings, and it did the same thing.  NIC card was in when I tried it.

Shawn