On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 sk3tch at sk3tch.net wrote:

> Also...if you have any info on signing up to high-exposure SPAM
> lists...let me know.  I've Google'd and found a few valuable links but
> they're quite outdated.  Other bright ideas I had were to sign up for
> freeipods.com...figured that would generate some good stuff. :-)

I've found the best way to get an address out there is by posting to
mailing lists that maintain public archives, posting to usenet, and
putting it on a webpage.  From there, act on the messages (see below).
With the webpage approach, the more exposure the better - posting to
forums or message boards that get archived are more likely to be crawled
than some random domain that doesn't get any traffic.

Be careful when "seeding" sites with an address - a lot of times they will
let you know that they're going to share your address with "marketing
partners".  Granted, confirmed opt-in is the only legitimate way to build
e-mail lists, but just keep in mind that there is a distinction, and by
manually signing up you will get some of both.

You may also consider asking on spam-l, and in the news.admin.net-abuse
hierarchy (but read charters/FAQs first!)

There is (was?) a project on-line that had 100% pure spam in various
formats that could be downloaded - I can't remember the name of it, but it
was on slashdot, and can probably be google'd.

If you want a pure spam feed (that is, 100% guaranteed spam, not being
sorted automatically from a spam filter, and addresses that were
harvested, not signed-up), we can talk off-list.  I started a project long
ago that involved spamtraps, and never did much with it.  Some stats:

-rw-rw----   1 spam     mail     87052466 Jan 10 13:13 /var/mail/spam
-rw-rw----   1 spam     mail     60110600 Aug 24 08:05 /var/mail/spam.0.gz

bash-2.05$ grep -c TXT /etc/namedb/...DSNBL Zone...
3992 (3,992 IP's in my DNSBL - they expire automatically after 2 weeks).

bash-2.05$ grep spamtrap /etc/mail/aliases | wc -l
      191

Many of those 191 are feeds from other people that have setup a spamtrap
address and aliased it to me (for my project).  Unfortunately those are
not well-advertised.  The remainder are addresses at some of my domains
that I've littered in HTML (as comments and not) and news postings.  With
some, I sent "remove me I'm on the AOL!" replies back to all (From,
Reply-To, Errors-To, and any addresses in the message body), as well as
visiting the websites, to confirm the address and attract some more spew.

The perl to automagically HTTP GET all of the URLs referenced in the spam
was not particularly difficult, and I think it greatly improved the
exposure.  I've since lost the code, and I haven't run it in awhile.

Even with all of this, running for well over a year, I only get a few
hundred messages/day to the spamtraps.  In comparison with my real
address, my anti-spam system has stopped 4,305 since the 1st of this year.