Hehe, no.  That guy that got busted was a total dummy.  Even at
relatively low powers, the dot is visible on clouds.  The guy that got
busted had a fairly high power unit.  Still, at a long range, it won't
cause damage to eyesight, but it will temporarily flash blind someone.
In any case, he deserves to get charged with something.  But I think
charging him as a terrorist is a bit excessive.  Maybe a reckless
endangerment count for each person on the plane, or something similar.
Either way, he's screwed.

Lasers are a fun hobby, and it's idiots like this guy that are going to
screw it up for everyone else.