    Chris> You can get the scancodes from xev.  Just run xev and start typing.
    Chris> It'll give you the info you need.

I think I wasn't clear enough in my original message.  I have used
xev, and the keys I'm concerned about are the ones that don't produce
any scancode or xkeycodes.  I.e., I press the key and nothing at all
happens.

I suspect for these I have to get into the driver, but I don't know.

    Chris> Also, another one which looks extremely easy, though I've not tried it
    Chris> myself:
    Chris> http://lineak.sourceforge.net/

This is a very good pointer --- it gives some discussion of what to do
when xev doesn't react to keypresses with any keycode at all.

I still wish I understood better where the responsibility of the
kernel drivers leaves off and X takes on.

But I've used the scancodes program to check the keypresses in a
console, w/o X, and the keys are still "dead."

Robert