Can anyone help me find resources for making a new flavor of internet
keyboard work?  I have a logitech cordless access, and there are a
bunch of keys on it that are dead, even when I use the XF86 keyboard
setting that's the closest fit (logicdn).  I'm feeling like scratching
this itch, and making those dead keys work, but I'm having a hard time
figuring out where to start.

IIUC, what happens is a chain like this:

something generates scancodes
scancodes turn into X keycodes
X keycodes turn into keysyms

AFAICT, these keys just don't generate scancodes.  But I'm not sure
where to go from there.  Can anyone point me at a resource for
figuring out how to make those dead keys generate scan codes?  And
then how to make the scancodes turn into keycodes?  I've tried
googling, and wandering around in the linux documentation project
pages, but I'm not getting where I need to.

Many thanks,