or Free solution to replace Exchange Server. I've found
free back ends with other free clients, proprietary plug-ins
to connect to free back ends and proprietary back ends.

Please tell me there's a way to do this... or point me
to some pages that confirm my fears. Better yet, a story
like "hey, I wanted to do that and here's what *we* did
anyway"

Why Outlook? Here are the requirements:
Calendar accessible from any Internet-connected computer
Ability to view others' calendars (at least busy/not busy)
Ability to schedule on behalf of other users
Shared contact list
Syncing contacts and schedule to PDA (preferably PalmOS)
Has a Windows client (other software mandates Windows on
the client side)

Kolab with Bynari's plug-in?
Bynari's server?
Some other wonderful thing?
What else can do this?

I'm leaning towards buying a license of Bynari's server.

Many thanks,
Chris Schumann