> also, i read once that each thread in linux gets a PID. when i run ps
> on this machine, i see many java processes, all seem to be threads
> from the same JVM. however, when looking at a Fedora FC3 2.6 .10.x, it
> seems that all the java threads under one JVM share the same PID. is
> that something that changed in the 2.6 kernel? or am i missing
> something?

ps itself changed. ps and top stopped listing threads by default back
around RH7 or 8. Really annoying, because it doesn't seem to add up the
CPU time used by threads. Sometimes your CPU will be pegged at 100% and
your system will be chugging, but 'top' doesn't show anything using CPU
time because its some random subthread. I can never remember what the
arcane option to turn on thread listing is for 'top'.

That, and the move to NPTL, in I believe RH9, completely changed the way
threads are done. This affected Java in particular.