Mike Miller wrote:

> Following up on my longstanding concerns about the future of OpenVMS:
>
> http://news.com.com/HP+to+rejuvenate+OpenVMS+on+Monday/2100-1016_3-5537046.html
>
> http://news.com.com/HP+looks+beyond+Fiorina/2009-7341_3-5569425.html
>
>> From the second page of the first URL above:
>

>    When HP bought Compaq, OpenVMS "was probably one of the close calls
> when
>    they decided what was going to move forward and what projects they
> were
>    going to cancel, simply because OpenVMS is clearly for legacy
> systems,"
>    said Illuminata analyst Gordon Haff. "When (administrators of) legacy
>    systems are faced with a transition, they are going to look at other
>    alternatives."
>
>    But presumably, HP did the math and decided the investment was
>    worthwhile--unlike the conclusion it reached with its largely
> phased-out
>    HP 3000 line. The OpenVMS business was profitable in 2003, but HP
>    declined to state whether it is today, citing investor regulations.

> According to c|net news, the day Fiorina/HP bought Compaq was "a day
> of infamy" in the company's history.  I suppose that has little to do
> with OpenVMS.

Carly visited the engineering lab where OpenVMS is built and
specifically praised the technology and history of Digital and of
OpenVMS in particular.  She said (paraphrased) that "we knew what gems
we were acquiring when decided to merge with Compaq; this was more than
just two PC companies merging" (which was a popular idea at the time).

> We'll see what happens with a new CEO at HP.  We don't know what
> they'll do with OpenVMS, but I envision them keeping it going unless
> they are operating at a loss.  If they can offer help with transitions
> from OpenVMS to UNIX/Linux, they might retain more customers than if
> they make it equally easy for their customers to leave for a different
> service provider.  They should be able to capitalize on loyalty.  If
> they do nothing to aid in transitions away from OpenVMS, then why
> won't current OpenVMS customers dump HP for another company?  With the
> current OpenVMS customer base continuing to erode, they'll have to cut
> their losses someday.

You might find the interview with the VP of OpenVMS Engineering (Mark
Gorham) enlightening. It was slashdotted. Start here for the interview:
http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=05/01/19/6559130 and go here
for a pointer to /.:
http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=05/01/19/0380642

He answers many of the questions you've asked. If there's something
missing and you'd like more, feel free to ask me or write to Mark
directly. He is very open about receiving and responding to customer
email. And yes, HP does offer transition services. Let me know if you'd
like more details.

> What are your views?

Biased. :-) As you know, I'm an OpenVMS operating system software
engineer employed by HP. I have an understandable tendancy to want to
promote OpenVMS and help others see it for what it is truely is. On the
other hand, I'm not so naive to believe that OpenVMS is the answer to
every problem. I'm glad you are taking the time to ask.

> Mike

-Jeff