Jeff Nelson wrote:
> Dave Erickson wrote:
>
>> Jeff Nelson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not getting the performance I would have hoped, but at least the
>>> copy is running. I've got to transfer about 180gb worth of data
>>> spread across 5000 files. I'm getting about 3.6gb/hour so I figure
>>> I'm looking at 50 hours.  This is on a 100baseT LAN.
>>

>> Maybe time for a 1000 mBit LAN Card? Anyways, glad to help....
>

> I actually thought about it for a bit. The ASUS does come with a
> 1000/100/10 integrated NIC, so the idea is tempting 'cause I'd only need
> one, plus a crossover cable (or a switch upgrade, too).
>
> But I decided this was the best I was going to get. Why? Because the
> transfer is not limited by bandwidth, it's limited by the SMB protocol
> implementation. I've got at least 3 times the bandwidth capacity
> available in my existing 100mbit LAN that I'm not using. Both systems
> aren't even breathing hard. The single switch that's between the two
> systems blinks activity at a rate of about 4 times/sec with noticable
> pauses between flashes. I think the protocol is inefficient, but it
> works. I could get way better performance using FTP, but I've got lots
> of files and subdirectories and FTP isn't recursive. Maybe I oughta poke
> around for a graphical FTP client that is...
>
> But it was fun to think about 1000mBit for a while. :-)
>
> Thanks again for the help.
>
> -Jeff

I recently did a transfer of about 30 GB ove samba and a 1000 mBit
direct connection with a crossover cable and I was averaging 15-20
percent bandwidth utilization throughout.

Which is anywhere from 150 - 200 mBit per second.

But if it's working maybe best not to tinker....

--
Dave Erickson
[ http://www.esox.us/ ]