Quoting Nick <bellsoffreedom at animail.net>:

> Okay. I was using rcp to push from Linux to Windows. As per
> everyone's advice, I installed Putty and WinSCP on my windows
> machine. I did "pscp -r blah blah blah" exactly as explained, from
> my Win box. I'm certain my syntax was correct.
>
> Problem:
> I get the error "ssh init: Connection timed out." It times out after
> ten seconds. I'm guessing this problem is on the Linux side but for
> the life of me I couldn't find where to change it. What's the
> easiest way to fix this problem?
>
> I'm getting closer to getting my home network up and running! (Still
> a networking newbie, so that's a big deal.)
> THANK YOU to everyone, especially Adam and Shawn, who've answered
> countless questions about this. I've got info that's really
> important to me on my Linux system, which has been infinitely better
> than when I stored the info on a Windows system. I just need to be
> able to copy my files from Linux to Windows in order to backup,
> print, burn to CD's, etc.

To clarify, you are trying to copy files from Linux to Windows. On the windows
box you run something like
pscp -r nick at remotehost.com:/some/directory c:\backup
You get an error on your Windows host that says ssh init: Connection
timed out.

Because that ssh init error sounds like a Linux error and you should be
running
pscp from the Windows box.

Let me know if I am confused.

Josh