On 12/21/05, Josh Trutwin <josh at trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:

> I guess it doesn't take the place of a good backup strategy, but as I
> see it with a RAID-1 setup if one of the drives goes bad you should be
> able to use the other drive while you replace the faulty one.  I think
> that's a bit of an oversimplification though.

Keep in mind, those drives should also be connected to separate
controllers because a controller can go bad and corrupt data.  If you
have only one controller all you've managed to do with RAID1 is
corrupt 2 drives (arrays) at the same time.

And you're correct backups are still needed for a variety of reasons.