Josh Trutwin wrote:

> A while back one of the servers I help out with that a buddy of mine
> owns had a catastrophic hard drive failure.  It wasn't a HUGE deal
> because we were slowly migrating off to a new server, but there still
> was some data loss.
>
> The newer server we're migrating to which I am more active in managing
> does not currently have redundant drives.  I do a lot of off-site
> backup of important data, but I'm still very nervous about this
> situation and trying to push the owner to spend some money on more
> hardware.  There isn't a hardware RAID controller so I am suggesting
> to the owner of the server to purchase a couple more disks so I can
> setup a software RAID solution as I've been reading up on here:
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.) Does anyone have experiences they can share with setting up a s/w
> RAID on an existing system?  (Server is a Dell PowerEdge 1750 running
> Debian sid with 2.4.32 - I build the kernel myself - it is currently
> co-located which might make remote setup interesting)

I've this multiple times with good sucess. The remote setup can be a
little more touchy and you really need to watch your config process. A
few things that you need to answer. How loaded is your backplane/scsi
bus? How busy is your CPU? Although mirroring doesn't create much cpu
load like a software lvl 5 would, it does create double the traffic on
your bus's when writing. What enviroment are you in? What services are
you running and what is your uptime demands. Then I can comment more.