At work we have several Ricoh and Canon MFP type printers. If you get
one with Postscript support it's printer exposes all the functions. What
I've done for scanning is set up a share on a file server (Samba 3.0.14a
in this case) and set that as the default "scan to" directory. So a user
walks to the copier, places stuff on it, and hits scan, then goes back
to his or her desk to retrieve from the share.  I've found this to work
well enough that I've never tried to directly scan with SANE or
anything. I've not tried faxing.

Chris Smith