I've been looking for a good way to handle our company's documentation.
I've looked at and used mediawiki, plone, and mambo/joomla but nothing seems
to do what I think it needs to do.

This is what I need:
1. We sell our own software so we need to be able to publish user manuals.
2. We need to document our own company procedures, policies, etc.
3. We need revision control so if someone wipes out a document we know what
we need to fix.
4. We need version control so we know what version of our document our
clients or employees are using (Pointing everyone at the web may mitigate
this need).
5. We need access control.  Obviously everyone should not have access to
everything.
6. Easy enough to create/edit/delete/view a document so that our
non-technical users and employees can handle it.

These are additional features that should be available:
1. Use Word or OpenOffice and import the documents into the document tool
2. Should be able to get a PDF version of the same document on the fly (i.e.
I don't want to store two copies of each document)
3. Client access portal so we know who's accessing our documents

This seems reasonable to me so maybe I'm looking in the wrong places or
maybe I'm too picky.