I am re-learning linux in my spare time (I used to know Unix a long time
ago), and would like to set up a machine which starts with just basics of
linux.  After that point, I would like to install programs as I need them.
For example, if I want to learn KDE, then only at that point would I
download and install KDE.

Right now the best way I have come up to do this is using Redhat Fedora Core
4, do a minimal install, and use yum to add packages as I want them.  Does
anyone know a better way to do this?  I am open to any distribution that
anyone thinks would be better at this also.

Thanks.
- Joey