On 12/5/05, Ben Wilinski <bwilinski at iexposure.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting an intelPro1000 gt to work on Debian
> 3.0.
>
> So far I've done:
>
> modprobe e1000
>  Which gives me this in dmesg:
> e1000: Ignoring new-style parameters in presence of obsolete ones
> Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 5.2.52-k4
> Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Intel Corporation.

Right about here it should tell you what interfaces it found, like this:

e1000: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex

It might be later on, if the cable is not plugged in, but somewhere it
should tell you that.

> and that looks good, but when I added the interface
> in /etc/network/interfaces as eth2 and run ifup eth2 I get this:
>
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth2: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
> eth2: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> eth2: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

Are you sure this is eth2?  Does 'ifconfig -a' show eth0 eth1 and
eth2?  Also, I ran into a problem where Dell packaged intel cards had
the wrong PCI id's (they were Dell branded) and thus the modules never
worked. I needed to add the PCI ids into the source and recompile the
module.  Not hard, but kind of frustrating. You might double check
that too.

Jay

--
Jay Kline