Dave,

although it's not necessary to have proprietary compatibility to be a good
piece of soft, the programs that we have all suggested have a great deal of
shared formats for you to work between Win and Linux

the gimp handles:
File formats supported include bmp, gif, jpeg, mng, pcx, pdf, png, ps, psd,
svg, tiff, tga, xpm, and many others
Load, display, convert, save to many file formats
SVG path import/export

OpenOffice
Handles it's own format, plus .doc, .xls, .ppt and all the other M$ formats,
in most of their versions.
I personally use OOo in windows and linux and the only problem that I'm
aware of it's with the formulas written in OOo, which don't appear correctly
on M$ (although the formulas written in M$ are read by OOo).

Generally speaking, most of the GPL soft would have at least one kind of
output that is universal in it's final form. I can't guarantee that you
could work a little bit on GPL, change to proprietary and then come back
again to GPL with 100% compatibility, but you could always have a product
that would be readable in a platform-independent format.

Greetings