I'm considering swapping out SuSE 9.2 for Ubuntu (Breezy). What's
stopping me is that I have a multi-disk logical volume group. I've
looked at the LVG HOWTO at tldp.org and it seems that I should first
export the LVG and then import it when the new distribution is up and
running.

The data are not backed up and I'm nervous about making a mistake. I'd
back it up if I knew of a reasonably-priced archive option that worked
on Linux that could handle 500GB of data (it could easily double in the
next year). That rules out popping over to the local store to pick up a
dual-layer DVD-RW. The data are already compressed so I do not expect to
achieve much by compressing while writing to tape, either.

Now's your chance to offer advice. If you were me what would you do?
Should I just trust the LVG export/import capabilities? I plan to keep
the SuSE distribution available while I switch to Ubuntu, so hopefully I
could revert back if things go wrong.

Personal replies will be summarized back to the list if you'd rather
send to me directly rather than the whole list.

Thanks.

-Jeff