Your latter idea should work.  For a while, I used an old K6-2 box to
bridge a couple of wired networks (I wanted to connect some newer
computers to an old coax network and couldn't find any PCI cards with
BNC connectors).  I don't see any reason it wouldn't work just as
well if one of the interfaces is wireless.  At the time I had to
patch the kernel, but it's included now, although I'm not sure if
your average distro kernel includes it.

A Google search for "linux ethernet bridge howto" should turn up
information on what you're looking for.

Xavier