Hey tclugers,
  I am wondering if someone can help me with what I assume is an easy
problem. I have a network inside, where I am typing right now, and there
are cat5 cables carefully hidden so that my parents house doesn't look
what my mother would consider "bad looking." Anyway, I have a WRT54G for
wireless access, and it also provides DHCP serving for this network. The
Cable modem is hooked to this network obviously. Anyway, here's the deal:

I want to connect the network I have in my garage (where I can have
things look however I like, we don't park cars in the Garage we use it
for storage, and also it's my test lab. Basically a whole hell of a lot
of 486s, p90s, p100s, p200s, etc. Anyway, I want to connect the networks
wirelessly so that the machines in the garage can get an address via
DHCP and so that I can be inside in my nice comfy computer spot inside
the house and ssh to the test machines without having to go to the garage.

I have heard of possibly getting another WRT54G and turning off the dhcp
server on that one and doing some sort of bridging mode thing. Any ideas
there?

I also have been thinking I would just get a pci 802.11g card, stick it
and a pci nic into a p100 or so, and then have the g card grab an
address and then... plug the cable from the pci nic into my hub in the
garage and somehow run traffic that way. Anyway, I apologize if this is
a stupid question, I am just really, really ready to connect the
networks. Distcc could be a lot more fun if I add all those machines in
the garage. :)

Anyway, any thoughts out there? I'd really, really appreciate it.

Thanks,

nick

nick thompson

all unix all the time.