I have installed and used Linux on sever laptops successfully, I stick
with the newer machines that would be found on eBay.

*Compaq Armada e500 PIII 600MHz, 256mb RAM, DVD/CD, FDD, Sound*
    Ubuntu - This distro was a little scarry, the screen went crazy
durring the installation but worked fine when I just walked away from it
for a while
    FC3 - This distro installed without any problems
    Free BSD - (Not Linux) I'm struggling with the network and sound I
think the network is somewhat functional (lights blink and such) I'm not
getting conectivity. I'm getting an error about the sound not working. I
just need to work through it to get it to work :-)

*Compaq Armada M700 PIII 450MHz, 256mb RAM, DVD/CD, Sound, USB FDD*
    Ubuntu - This distro was a little scarry, the screen went crazy
durring the installation but worked fine when I just walked away from it
for a while
    FC3 - This distro installed without any problems

*Compaq Armada 7400 PII 366mhZ, 256mb RAM, CD, FDD, Sound*
    FC2 - Installed without any problem

Sam.