> Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:21:55 -0500
> From: Dave Carlson <thecubic at thecubic.net>

>> I've got a LinkSys WPC54G, but haven't tried really hard to get it to
>> run on FC4. Should I give it another go? Is it that easy?
>
> I don't have any experience with the WPC54G, but the WMP54G works with
> ndiswrapper.    I can send you some rpms if you have trouble building
> them.

The issue in the past has been that I have to have kernel source, and it's
been a pain. Maybe with a *little* hand-holding, I can get the WPC54G to
work. I wouldn't have a problem buying another one then.

I do have a wired card that works fine, so downloading packages and such
is not a problem.

>> On a related note, I need a new 802.11G adapter anyway. It has to work
>> in Linux and Windows. I've been pretty faithful to LinkSys so far, but
>> I'm not married to the brand. Opine: Should I stick with what I know,
>> or go for something better, easier, etc.?
>
> Do you have an empty MiniPCI slot in your laptop?  When I got a new
> laptop  (from someone who used an 802.11b 16-bit PC card), I put a
> MiniPCI wireless  card from a dead linksys router in it, and it has
> worked like a charm (with  ndiswrapper), both in windows and linux.

I did add two internal antennae, but I was trying to move one, and pulled
the connector off. Range was... not great with one antenna, and I needed
to put back the modem in that slot to send a fax. A PC card is fine and is
more flexible.

>> I would like to avoid buying anything made in a country without
>> reasonably free and fair elections (like China) if at all possible.
>
> Most boards are manufactured in Taiwan; does that count?

Taiwan is on my OK list for now. They do seem to have elections. Also,
anything used is OK.