Would CAcert work for your ssl certificate. The only problem is CAcert is
not included in all the browsers so your users would have to import the root
certificate from CAcert. This is a free certificate and a wildcard cert is
the same price $0. They can be accessed at www.cacert.org The certificates
are good for 6 months, but if you get assured they time goes to 2 years.

Joseph Key